Day Trippin – Portland Tennessee Strawberry Festival May 4 – May 11
Fresh strawberries are one of the best parts of Spring! Finding them can be a little hard unless you know where to look – and we’re not talking about the grocery store. You need to head south to the tiny town of Portland, Tennessee, the “Strawberry Capital”. Its a great place to take the family on a day trip – especially since this weekend is the start of the annual Portland Strawberry Festival!
Just over the Tennessee state line you’ll start to find fresh berries everywhere at roadside stands – straight from the fields Portland. These berries are sweet, sweet, sweet! And the prices are usually a lot cheaper than you find at the store. The vendors have picked them from the fields themselves that morning.
May 3 – Strawberry Pageant
May 4 – Garden Tractor Pull & Classic Car Cruise-In
May 5 – Bradley Kountry Acres Open House in Cottontown, TN
May 7 – 13th Annual Strawberry Golf Tournament at the
Kenny Perry Country Golf Course
May 7 – 11 Portland Strawberry Festival
The Main Day for the Strawberry Festival is Saturday, May 11. Tons of activities are planned for that day – including a special appearance at the Strawberry Festival Parade by Mountain Man from A&E’s Duck Dynasty for, what else, the Duck Calling Contest.
- Strawberry Stride (Application)
- 7:00-11:00 – Rotary Pancake Breakfast
- 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.- Vendors (Application)
- Kid Town USA, $5 kids play all day. 106 Main St, Portland, Tenn.
- 11:00 – Strawberry Eating Contest. 200 S Broadway, Portland, Tenn.
- TBD – Duck Calling Contest (Judge Mountain Man)
- 10:00-5:00 – Strawberry Jam Live Entertainment – Free Admission
- 2:00 – Parade; Grand Marshal Mountain Man from A&E Duck Dynasty
- Freedom Drive to Portland East Middle , (Application)
- Dark – Movie in the Park
- Casino Party at Richland Gym (7-10 PM) – provided by Spangler Entertainment.
Ok – now that we know all about the fabulous strawberries and the festival – where do you stay in Portland? You could stay anywhere in Nashville (about 40 miles from Portland) or you could pick a Bed & Breakfast in Portland. The best place where you’re likely to find an open room is the Deerfield Inn. Complete with a continental breakfast!
Portland, Tennessee, is chock full of great places to eat, but check out the local places like Bottom View Farm’s Old Time Restaurant or if you’re looking for something in the evening, check out 5 Chefs.
Have a great time on your Day Trip to Portland, Tennessee! (and don’t forget to bring back a lot of strawberries for freezing and canning!)
Click HERE for a Google Map for directions to Portland, TN!
- Posted in: Uncategorized